Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Why Avert Your Eyes?

Lippmann discusses the reinforcement and contradiction of stereotypes in Chapter 7 of Public Opinion. If we experience something that supports a stereotype we hold, then that stereotype is reinforced. If we encounter a situation that contradicts a stereotype, two things usually happen; One, we see “the contradiction as an exception […], discredits the witness, finds a flaw somewhere, and manages to forget it” (54). Two, we allow the thought to enter our mind that our own stereotype is flawed. I recently experienced this situation when I began student teaching. I was warned by many people that the school I was going to was rough, the students would be rude and uncontrollable, and I would come home miserable and ready to cry every day. Needless to say, I was terrified on my first day at school. By the end of the first week I had to throw every single stereotype that I had been fed out the window.

“For when a system of stereotypes is well

fixed, our attention is called to those facts
which support it, and diverted from those
which contradict.”

“What is alien will be rejected, what is
different will fall upon unseeing eyes. We
do not see what our eyes are not accustomed
to take into account.”

*Lippmann, Chapter 9 (65)

I chose these quotes because I think they complement each other and stress the idea that we do what we can to hold on to the stereotypes we have. Holding on to certain stereotypes helps us feel comfortable and in-control of our lives. Therefore, we make sure (sometimes unconsciously) we acknowledge situations that reinforce our stereotypes and often turn a blind eye to situations that shake our beliefs. We need to remain conscious and aware of our stereotypes. Contradiction could just bring you a new perspective.

1 comment:

EmStar said...

Isn't it frustrating that there are only two options when we see something that contridicts stereotypes? I wish that more people would just realize that there is a third option - changing your stereotype!