Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Danke, Bertelsmann

My chosen media from the earlier entry is books. I think the main company behind books is Bertelsmann. It’s a privately-owned German company and is the largest publisher of English-language books around the world. Bertelsmann publishes both fiction and nonfiction books, novels for adults and young adults and children’s stories. An interested reader could choose to read a story in hardback or paperback, or electronically or digitally. What if you don’t have time to sit down and get lost in a good book? Why, climb behind the wheel of your automobile and drive on while listening to a book on tape. One well-known publishing company owned by Bertelsmann that I came across was Random House. The United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia are just a few of the countries in which Random House has companies. More books have won major book awards published under Random House than any other publishing company. The famous Dr. Seuss series, which I love to use to supplement lessons while teaching, and novels by John Grisham are published by Random House.

I would frame Bertelsmann under globalization. I looked up globalization on
www.dictionary.com and found:

“noun: growth to a global or worldwide scale”

(WordNet® 2.1, © 2005 Princeton University).

Bertelsmann is the largest English-language books publisher in the world and has numerous companies based around the world. There are book clubs operated by Bertelsmann in North America and Europe made up of 35 million members. Bertelsmann also publishes magazines, and owns television stations and companies and recording labels. Bertelsmann is operating on a worldwide scale and is trying to break into American television.

I found my information at:
http://www.randomhouse.com/about/history.html
http://www.bertelsmann.com

2 comments:

JayGal said...

You mentioned listening to books on tape. Have you ever done this while you were driving?? Personally, I don't know if I could do it or not. I don't think that I would get as absorbed by the story if I wasn't actually "reading" it.

B. Weaver said...

Ever read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? It's a book about an electronic book or at least the odd people strangley connected to it.